Friday, April 2, 2010

Niles - Home, Sweet Home!

An 1878 map of Niles, once known as Vallejo Mills.
Why the name change?
This will be one of the first stories I try to discover!
Map courtesy David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.




My name is Julie Cain and I moved to Niles just about a year ago; here the past is very much alive! Steam trains run tourists between Niles and Sunol every weekend, the Essanay Museum features silent films made in the area by legendary stars such as Charlie Chaplin and Bronco Billy, and beautiful old Victorian houses can be found on many of the neighborhood streets. I live in an old farmhouse built between 1897 and 1907 with my dog, Bailey, and my two cats, Santana and Saguaro. We all love it here and I'm really looking forward to exploring the past of my new home, sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment